Suspected oxidative stress states, including the effects of ageing, alcoholism, atherosclerosis, cancer, cataract, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, hepatitis, HIV infection, iron overload, pancreatitis, pre-eclampsia, pulmonary disease, rheumatoid arthritis, tooth and gum disease. Also suspected nutritional deficiencies, especially of copper and selenium
1. Cunningham JJ, Lydon MK, Emerson R et al. Low caeruloplasmin levels during recovery from major burn injury6: influence of open wound size and copper supplementation. Nutrition 1996;12:83-88.
2. Cauza E, Maier-Dobesberger T, Polli C et al. Screening for Wilson's disease in patients with liver diseases by ceruloplasmin. J Hepatol 1997;27:358-362.
3. McCord J, Fridovich I. Superoxide Dismutase: The First Twenty Years (1968-1988), Free Rad Biol Med 1988;5:363-371.
4. Arthur JR, Boyne R. Superoxide dismutase and glutathione peroxidase activities in neutrophils from selenium deficient and copper deficient cattle. Life Sciences 1985; 36:1569-1575.
5. Chesters JK, Arthur JR. Early biochemical defects caused by dietary trace element deficiencies. Nutrition Research Reviews 1988;1:39-56.
6. Michiels C, Raes M, Toussant O, Remacle J. Importance of Se glutathione peroxidase, catalase and Cu/Zn-SOD for cell survival against oxidative stress. Free Rad Biol Med 1994;17:235-248.
7. Ceballos-Picot I, Trivier J, Nicole A, et al. Age-correlated modifications of copper-zinc superoxide dismutase and glutathione-related enzyme activities in human erythrocytes. Clin Chem 1992;38:66-70.
8. Forstrom JW, Zakowski JJ, Tappel AL. Identification of the catalytic site of rat liver glutathione peroxidase as selenocysteine. Biochemistry 1978;17:2639-2644.
9. Benabdeslam H, Abidi H, Garcia I, Bellon G, Gilly R, Revol A. Lipid peroxidation and antioxidant defences in cystic fibrosis patients. Clin Chem Lab Med 1999;37:511-516.
10. Steinberg D, Parthasarathy S, Carew T et al. Beyond cholesterol; modifications of low density lipoprotein that increase atherogenecity. N Engl J Med 1998;320:933-937.
11. Mackness MI, Abbott CA, Arrol S et al. Protection of low density lipoprotein against oxidative modification by high density lipoprotein-associated paraoxonase. Atherosclerosis 1993;104:129-135.
12. Ferre N, Camps J, Fernandez-Ballart J et al. Regulation of serum paroxonase activity by genetic, nutritional, and lifestyle factors in the general population. Clin Chem 2003;49(9):1491-1497.
13. Brigelius-Flohe R, Kelly FJ, Salonen JT et al. The European perspective on vitamin E. Am J Clin Nutr 2002;76:703-716.
14. Miller NJ, Worrell PC, Jasniewicz KP. Erythrocyte tocopherol isomers in the investigation of vitamin E deficiency. Annals of Clinical Biochemistry 2010;47 Supplement 1:116.
15. Bendich A, Olson JA. Biological actions of carotenoids. FASEB J 1989:3;1927-32.
16. Miller NJ, Sampson J, Candeias LP, Bramley PM, Rice-Evans CA. Antioxidant activities of carotenoids and xanthophylls. FEBS Letters 1996;384:240-242.